The Darkest House Observations
Monte Cook Games always excites and impresses me with their new products. Numenera was obviously transformational, The Strange has amazing potential for multi-genre play, and Invisible Sun, in addition to its obvious quality has transformed how I play RPGs in General.
Their newest Kickstarter is for a completely new concept...a horror setting which can either be used stand-alone *or* connected to any other game you are playing, using a new translation mechanic they call the "House" setting.
Some basic concepts, based on the literature or interviews with the team:
- Based on playtests, your translated characters, from other games, feel like themselves.
- The game has about 50 hours of content, and is replayable based on choices you make. More important, you don't play it all at once...you might have 1-2 sessions, then escape...until the House pulls you back in.
- When you leave the house, you permanently leave or gain things that you take back to your "normal" game. This changes the House AND changes your normal game.
- It works with several Virtual Tabletop platforms, as well as virtually any conference tool, such as Discord, Zoom, etc.
- It screams to have expansions or extensions, over time.
Notes from the Demo
Below is another option, where you find a document, and can share the image, a link to the text or copy the text itself: